Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:00:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! unbootable due to rc.conf

	For future reference, all questions belong on -questions. Cross posting
is frowned on.

Kent Stewart wrote:

> John Daniels wrote:
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> > I forgot to add a quote mark in rc.conf.  Now my system will not boot fully.
> >   It takes me to a shell prompt from which I can move around the system
> > ("cd") and execute simple commands like "ls" but I can't bring up an editor
> > (I tried vi and ee) and when I tried to use mv to rename rc.conf (thinking
> > that the system would boot with only the settings in /etc/defaults/rc.conf),
> > the system responded that the drive was read-only.
> >
> > What can I do to get my system booting properly again?
>
> You have to mount /. The last time I did this was 3 or 4 weeks ago and
> a "mount -a" in single user mode worked. Then you correct your rc.conf
> error. I rebooted at this point.

	Make sure to type 'fsck -p' before you do the 'mount -a'. You should
never try to mount a file system if it's not clean. Also, if you are in
single user mode and want to go directly to multi-user mode, just type
'exit'. Conversely, if you are in multi-user mode and want to drop into
single user mode without rebooting, all you need to do is type
'shutdown'.

HTH,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire