Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:29:19 -0600
From:      "DaleCo Help Desk" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        "KizerSoze" <kizersoze@sbcglobal.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Default Sendmail install with FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "KizerSoze" <kizersoze@sbcglobal.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 10:17 PM
Subject: Default Sendmail install with FreeBSD

> I've been addressing an issue where I'm trying to have all my mail
from my
> root account forwarded to  my home email address.  The BSD box does
not have
> a FQDN and when trying to send any mail to my home accounts the
mail relay
> owned by those accounts will not accept them, assumingly because
the from
> address does not have a real domain name, thus the relay drops the
mail as
> spam.
>
> I know that sendmail can be configured to change the from addresses
of
> emails before they are sent and I'd like to accomplish this, and,
have found
> some sufficient documentation here.
> http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.2
>
> But, after reading through the documentation I am unable to locate
any
> sendmail.mc file on my system.  My system was not a bare 4.7
install, but
> has been updated through the 4.x tree.  I'm by no means an expert
with
> Sendmail and have not been able to find any answers to the
following
> questions.
>
> 1)  Where am I suppose to find the sendmail.mc file?

You won't.  You'll find 'freebsd.mc' and, if you've ever run
'make' in /etc/mail, you should see a *.mc where * is your
hostname.  The *.mc is the one you're concerned with....

> 2)  Does FreeBSD come with a partial install of sendmail, and if so
is this
> why I'm not seeing the sendmail.mc file, and if thats the case do I
need to
> re-install sendmail through the port tree?

/stand/sysinstall gives you the option to run Sendmail during the
install
process...if you tell it you want to run Sendmail, it will put

    sendmail_enable="YES"

   in /etc/rc.conf.

> 3)  Has anyone else here accomplished what I'm trying to do here,
and if so,
> what were your steps to success?

One of the things everyone should do, or at least consider, is
editing /etc/mail/aliases shortly after setting up FBSD.  Several
of the daemons use the MTA (usually Sendmail) to notify the
system owner/administrator of 'important' issues.

After editing the file, 'make' must be run to update sendmail's
configuration.  As I mentioned above, .mc and .cf files adapted
for your host will be created and installed at this time.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ed

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey