Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:07:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        sue@welearn.com.au (Sue Blake)
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I search the site?

According to Sue Blake:
> On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 10:01:56PM -0700, Daemeon Reiydelle wrote:
> > Daemeon is a half-blind dingbat. As soon as I returned to the site and
> > began poking around I was greatly embarrased to find "Search" on the
> > yellow bar. Please ignore the question below.
>
> Hehe, you're not the first to miss it. Right up top, bright yellow,
> why don't people see it? Some visual perception thing perhaps.
> Thanks for coming back to let us know.
>
> While the experience is fresh in your mind, do you have any idea
> why this happens? Is there some way it could be made clearer?

A good guess would be that "the buttons" blend into the background as a
design thing. They are not clearly marked as pressable or links at all.
Looks like a horizontal bar to underline the FreeBSD daemon.
A "menu" to the left (by making more "newsflash"-buttons under the current
one, and putting the items there) like most places seem to have (done with
a frame). It's very quick to catch up on, and would make things clearer,
I think. Adding two directlinks to that many would also be nice:
"CVS repository" and "mailing lists".

IMHO...

   /Mikael