Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:52:06 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Oliver Blasnik" <ob@omnilink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Results of CRD5440-Checks

>here are the results of my bugtracking of that weird tagged-queueing-problem (if anyone want's to know it). It took about one day to come up with this.
>
>Environment:
>    System 1: P133, ASUS-MB (some oooold)
>    System 2: PII/366, ASUS P2B-S, Scsi-Bios 2.11 (latest)
>    System 3: dual PII/450, ASUS P2B-DS, Scsi-Bios 2.11 (latest)
>    Two CRD5440, different Manufacturing Date, 2 logical Partitions
>    Adaptec 2940UW, latest Bios (1.34.x)
>
>Results:
>The problems do occure on BOTH scsi-controllers (onboard 7890 and 2940) in single-host AND dual-host-mode of the CRD. They do NOT occure on System 1, but System 2 and 3 (the faster machines).
>There is no difference between FreeBSD 3.1R, 3.3R and 3.4RC.
>
>After changing cam_xpt.c to disable TQ (or disable TQ directly on the CRD's), the systems were stable again. There was no real difference between setting a fixed value of 4 tqs/disk or dynamic-mode (fixed did a little bit longer...).
>
>The problem ONLY comes up after accessing both logical CRD-partitions (da0 and da1 in FreeBSD) in a high-load-state (40 dd's for one, 40 dd's for the other drive to fill up the command cache). If just accessing one partition, the system worked well.
>
>So, resulting fact is -> this controller does NOT work correctly, if tagged queuing enabled with more than one active logical partition. I switched off TQ at controller-level to let the kernel unchanged. Possibly this information should go to some type of hcl.
>
>I will post a full-featuerd report to crd-tech and hope to get a result.

   We use FreeBSD's native partition support for the different filesystems
on our systems and don't use the logical partitions of the CRD-5440, so that
probably explains why we haven't seen the problem.
   I'm very interested to hear what CMD has to say about it...

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.