Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 20:53:10 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [dan@slightlystrange.org: Re: rsh not working]

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 12:12:28PM -0700, Balaji, Pavan wrote:

> /etc/inetd.conf just gives an option for telnet, but not for 'rsh'. I'm not
> able to get 'rsh' working yet. Any other suggestions?

For the bog-standard Berkeley rsh, you want to allow "shell":

 shell  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd

If you are using the Kerberised rsh, use this instead:

 kshell stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rshd       rshd -k

Bear in mind that ssh offers far greater security than either telnet or
rsh, and has a mode of operation that mimics the traditional "r" commands
pretty well.  There are good, freely-available ssh clients out there for
most OSes, so interoperability shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, lecture over  ;-)

HTH,

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \