Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:47:08 -0800
From:      Rob <europax@home.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do you get kids interested in computers- other than play

Mike Meyer wrote:

> David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> types:
> > "Daniel O'Connor" writes:
> > > You could just install Python for Windows and see if he plays with that,
> > On an iMac?  :-)
>
> What - you mean an iMac won't run Windows software? Good for it!
>
> Guess you should install the Mac version, then. <URL:
> http://www.python.org/download/download_mac.html >
>
> Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the Python+tkInter stuff. I
> write code on FreeBSD, and give it to people to run on Windows or the
> Mac, and it just works - with the exception of the one time I needed
> select(), which Windows doesn't do. They force programmers to use a
> more error-prone approach.
>
> In my experience, people (as opposed to geeks) start fooling with
> computers because 1) Someone with authority makes them, or 2) there's
> something useful they want it to do.
>
> Since I assume #1 is out, you might look at what gets done away from
> the computer, and point out how the computer could help with that
> somehow. If you really want them to start programming, or scripting,
> write the appropriate tool yourself (in Python on your FreeBSD box, of
> course), and let him know you wrote it. Add the first change
> request. *Help* him add the second one.
>
>         <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

I also love Python/Tkinter.  I use it at work for controlling $$$$ in
instrumentation over the GPIB bus.  I compete with the "evil" Perl
people :) there.  Sounds like a chapter for Dilbert.

I'll see if he has some interesting task that could easily be scripted,
maybe something for school.  Thanks.  Rob.