Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:30:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X terminal saga continues

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, J. Seth Henry wrote:

> Presently, I have a local .xsession in every user's home directory, which
> starts icewm. This is OK, as I can add it to /etc/skel, but it would be
> nice if there were an override file, which automatically started the wm.

Check out /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xsession which is the beast which kicks off
the .xsession. I've used an extra check at the end of the file:

global_startup=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
startup=$HOME/.xsession
resources=$HOME/.Xresources

if [ -f "$startup" ]; then
        exec "$startup"
if

if [-f "$global_startup"]; then
        exec "$startup"
fi

if [ -f "$resources" ]; then
	 xrdb -load "$resources"
fi

> So, it would appear to be a problem with Mozilla, but I can't figure out
> why it works when I start the application via an xterm?

You may (not) pick up a .Xmodmap; see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
which you do not pick up with an ~/.xsession (for xdm) or ~/.xinitrc (for
startx) start method.

Dw