Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:20:51 -0800
From:      Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opening ports

On 17 Dec, 2004, at 09:24, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> I realized that apparently by default most all ports are closed on my
> 5.3-Release box. The reason I say this is because besides port 22, 80
> and 10000 no other port seems to be open (based on a port scan). I
> just installed postfix and courier-imap and wanted to test ports 25
> and 110, but they do not respond even though postfix is running, I
> have enabled the ports in master.cf. Also they are in /etc/services.
>
> Looking over documents and checking my install, /etc/rc.firewall is
> not enabled in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>
> I assume I could go through rc.firewall and set it up for those ports
> I need opened, and enable it in rc.conf, but whereas we have a
> gatewall/firewall for our company, I don't see a lot of
> reason for having all the ports closed down on this server. Is there
> an easy way to enable them all?
>
> Curtis

OK, I've got courier-imap running now and it opened port 143, but there
is still no reply on 25. Which makes me think that the problem isn't
the fact that ports are closed, but that nothing is listening.
However, netstat shows:

cod# netstat -na | grep LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.143                  *.*
LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  *.143                  *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.80                   *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.25                   *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.10000                *.*
LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.22                   *.*
LISTEN
tcp6       0      0  *.22                   *.*
LISTEN

So, something is listening on port 25, but why no response to telnet
requests?

Curtis