Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:50:46 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Ed Wynn" <edwynn42@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: D-Link problem

> Okay, I've managed to get the debug kernel built and save the core file.
> I'll include the output of some basic debugging below.  If there's
anything
> else that would be helpful, let me know.  The D-Link driver disk includes
> source for a Linux driver, so when the problem gets narrowed down, I or
> someone more familiar with the code might be able to use this to determine
> the correct settings.
>
> First, though, I should have included this before, but I didn't notice it
> until much later.  Here's an excerpt from the boot messages that gets
shown
> before the crash.  During a GENERIC boot:
>
> rl0: <D-Link 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd800-0xd8ff
>   mem 0xe5800000-0xe58000ff irq 11 at device 11.0 on pci0
> rl0: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
> rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus0
> rlphy0: no media present

I'd change the device naming in pci/if_rl.c to identify the card vendor &
model (D-Link 538TX/R, in the style of the Accton MPX driver) rather than
the card chipset (which would be used for a generic card).

> It then proceeds through the normal boot sequence to the crash.  Here's
the
> gdb log I threatened above.  Warning: it's long.

[snip] Sorry 'bout that.  I was working on the assumption that the driver
was working properly, and was just dying during userland init (ifconfig).
The "rlphy0: no media present" line tells us that the driver isn't 100%
healthy, at least with this card.

It would be interesting to see what the result of the PHY_READ call is (just
before the 'no media present' printf line).  It could be that the D-Link
card is encoding media types differently (which means that BMSR_MEDIAMASK
needs updating), or is simply really telling us nothing.

--
Matt Emmerton