Date:      Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:26:18 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Aniruddha Bohra <bohra@cs.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting X for non root users

> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 02:37:26 -0500 (EST)
> From: Aniruddha Bohra <bohra@cs.rutgers.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> Hello
> 	I have been trying to get X to work for non root users but have
> failed on FreeBSD 4.4.
>
> 	In any case Xwrapper does not work even for root, but startx works(so
> there is nothing wrong with the X configuration).
>
> 	Xwrapper just starts a gray screen and sits there.
>
> 	xdm/kdm both show the initial screen, take login and passwd
> 		if login is incorrect, they say login failed
> however, if correct login is provided, the server restarts.

Are you running XFree86 4.x or 3.3.6? The X wrapper is only for 4.0
and higher.

You don't ever run the wrapper. It is executed automatically. you just
have startx fire up KDE in the normal fashion with the contents of
.xinitrc. (I run Gnome, so I don't remember the command to start kde.)

The wrapper is not used/needed for xdm (and, I assume, kdm) logins. It
is specific to startx.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)