Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 09:27:45 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing additional ports in a jail!

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:04:32AM +0100, Didier Wiroth wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> >where have you read that it's not recommended to do so? I'm installing
> >ports from inside the jail all the time and have not encountered any
> >problems so far.
>
> I have read this from the "Absolute BSD - The ultimate guide to
> FreeBSD", the author recommends not to build from the ports as it could
> take up a lot of CPU times.

CPU time is only a problem if you're short of it.  It's quite right to
say it's a waste of CPU time to build exactly the same package twice
--- once in the host environment and once in the jail, when you would
be better off building a package in the host environment, and
installing from the package in the jail.  On the other hand, it can be
a lot easier and more efficient in terms of administrator time to just
run portupgrade from within the jail.

Exactly the same argument would apply if you had several machines all
running the same version of FreeBSD.  Whether you build packages or
install from ports each time is entirely a matter of what suits you
the best.

> Actually I would like to recompile and install the apache2 daemon! I
> thought that this would be a real big task as the machine also hosts a
> primary dns.

That depends on how powerful your machine is and how much traffic your
DNS server is seeing.  It's a judgement call whether you can do it
without disrupting the service the machine is intended to provide.

> Are there other people installing their jail software from the ports
> collection, and compiling it from inside the jail?

Yes.  I never saw any reason not to.  If anyone knows different, I'd
like to hear their rationale.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way