Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 06:34:29 +1100
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDI to FreeBSD

On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 10:08:34AM -0800, keith@mail.telestream.com wrote:
> I've encountered some pretty severe problems transfering files from a bsdi
> machine to a freebsd machine.

I've just done the same thing with no problems at all, so have faith,
it is possible :-)

> It seems FreeBSD does not like the
> user/groups from BSDI. After untaring a sizable file from the BSDI machine
> on to the FreeBSD machine. All the ownerships were in the form of numbers.
> And low numbers for that mater. 200  150  300  UID and GID's of that form.

What I did was this. After installing FreeBSD and most of the ports I
wanted (because some ports create users/groups) I copied across the
BSDI master.passwd with a different name, and added group 100 user to
the groups file because I knew all the BSDI users had that group.

Then I used vipw with a good editor (defaulting to act on the installed
FreeBSD master.passwd), went to the bottom of the file, pulled in the
old BSDI master.passwd, and deleted the first few lines of the BSDI
file (containing users like operator, daemon, ...) plus a couple of
high numbered users at the end (nobody, nonroot). Most but not all of
those users had equivalents in the FreeBSD password file. Generally,
those that were missing would only be required when we were running
BSDI.

So the master.passwd contained only the system-related users from the
FreeBSD installation, plus only the real users from the BSDI system.
Save, the password database gets rehashed, and you're in business.

All that remains is to pick over the deleted BSDI users and the old
groups file for anything essential that might be needed, e.g. I added
webmaster and a couple of groups required by users who collaborate, but
didn't touch majordomo user/group because our port sets that up (but
seeing it there reminded me to install majordomo!).

> Shortly after that the system went down and that drive is basiacly hosed
> and unusable.
> When I rebooted the machine fsck could not fix the drive. And at this
> point I've completely rebuilt the array and tried to reinsert it back into
> FreeBSD via sysinstall.
> It will not insert back into the system. I switch to a second terminal to
> see if there have been any errors while in the fdisk. Here is the error.
>
> DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for dev type -
>
>  Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this? I'm stumped.

Someone else can probably answer this better than me.

You didn't mount a BSDI drive did you? I tried and got nowhere :-(

Did you build a totally FreeBSD system and just incorporate the user
data, or did you copy over parts of the BSDI filesystems? The latter
could explain your problems. I had to keep reminding myself: This is
FreeBSD, it's all new. Apart from restoring /home /mail the ftp site
files and the main web docs direcotry, and changing the password file,
everything was built fresh.

If you strike any more problems (or solutions) before I do,
please let me know! :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-