Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:35:11 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em/Intel(R) PRO/1000 problems

Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> probably said:
> em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.2.7> and
> em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.3.8>

Between the upgrade of em from 1.2.7 to 1.3.8 I started having
problems with the em card in my desktop box at work.

I have two tagged vlans over one em interface;

em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=3<rxcsum,txcsum>
        ether 00:02:b3:xx:xx:xx
        status: active
vlan1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1496
        inet 130.64.x.xxx netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 130.64.1.255
        ether 00:02:b3:xx:xx:xx
        vlan: 1 parent interface: em0
vlan2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1496
        inet 192.168.2.222 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
        ether 00:02:b3:xx:xx:xx
        vlan: 2 parent interface: em0

With 1.2.7 in -RELEASE this works fine, with 1.3.8 in -STABLE I stop
seeing arp replies from any Foundry equipment.

The card is directly connected to a gig copper port on a foundry
switch and the default route is a foundry router connected to the
switch.

With -STABLE I can connect to any machines on the same local networks
as my desktop but the vlan interface (vlan1) cannot see arp responses
from the foundry kit, including the default route, so cannot get any
further.

Sniffing on the parent interface, em0, I can see traffic from the
foundry equipment and the foundry equipment gets arp responses from my
desktop. I see ICMP packets sniffing on the parent interface (tagged,
obviously, helpfully decoded by ethereal), those packets never make it
to the vlan interface.

Seems like this was broken by the upgrade.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu