Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:08:41 -0600
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>, samit@usa.ltindia.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rfork()

--oJ71EGRlYNjSvfq7

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 12:48:07AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     This is an example only.  It takes a *BUNCH* of arcane assembly to make
>     it work.
>
>     I would suggest *EXTREME* caution when using a completely cloned address
>     space such as RFPROC|RFMEM generate.  Normal library calls cannot be made
>     by the child safely.   Thread libraries will also not work since they
>     expect the pthread model.
>
>     This is not portable.  The assembly is designed for ELF libraries.

The linux threads "port" at http://lt.tar.com/linuxthreads.tar.gz contains an
implementation of a linux clone call using rfork.  An alternative assembly
language interface to rfork, originally posted to -hackers by John Dyson
last summer, is attached.  This was part of a larger posting of some kthread
code.  Check the mail archives for the complete posting by John on August
20, titled "rfork stuff", which includes an example using thr_fork.

No reason I can see that thr_fork and/or "clone" couldn't be added to
libc.

--
Richard Seaman, Jr.           email: dick@tar.com
5182 N. Maple Lane            phone: 414-367-5450

--oJ71EGRlYNjSvfq7

	.file	"rf.S"
#include <sys/syscall.h>
#include "DEFS.h"
#include "SYS.h"
#define KERNEL
#include <sys/errno.h>
#undef KERNEL

#undef DEBUG

/*
 *        8      12     16        20        24       28
 * thr_fork(flags, stack, startrtn, startarg, userrtn, arg);
 *
 * flags: RF* flags for rfork in unistd.h.
 * subr:  subroutine to run as a thread.
 * stack: top of stack for thread.
 * arg:   argument to thread.
 */
.stabs "rf.S",100,0,0,Ltext0
	.text
Ltext0:
	.type	CNAME(thrfork),@function
	.stabd 68,0,1
ENTRY(thrfork)
	pushl	%ebp
	movl	%esp, %ebp
	pushl	%esi

	/*
	 * Push thread info onto the new thread's stack
	 */
	movl	12(%ebp), %esi	/ get stack addr

	subl	$4, %esi
	movl	28(%ebp), %eax	/ get user argument
	movl	%eax, (%esi)

	subl	$4, %esi
	movl	24(%ebp), %eax	/ get user thread address
	movl	%eax, (%esi)

	subl	$4, %esi
	movl	20(%ebp), %eax	/ get internal argument
	movl	%eax, (%esi)

	subl	$4, %esi
	movl	16(%ebp), %eax	/ get internal subroutine
	movl	%eax, (%esi)

	.stabd 68,0,2
	/*
	 * Prepare and execute rfork
	 */
	pushl	8(%ebp)
	pushl	%esi

	leal	SYS_rfork, %eax
	KERNCALL
	jb 	2f

	.stabd 68,0,3
	/*
	 * Check to see if we are in the parent or child
	 */
	cmpl	$0, %edx
	jnz	1f
	addl	$8, %esp
	popl	%esi
	movl	%ebp, %esp
	popl	%ebp
	ret
	.p2align 2

	/*
	 * If we are in the child (new thread), then
	 * set-up the call to the internal subroutine.  If it
	 * returns, then call _exit.
	 */
	.stabd 68,0,4
1:
	movl	%esi,%esp
#ifdef DEBUG
	movl	%esp, _stackaddr
	movl	(%esp), %eax
	movl	%eax, _stack
	movl	4(%esp), %eax
	movl	%eax,_stack+4
	movl	8(%esp), %eax
	movl	%eax,_stack+8
	movl	12(%esp), %eax
	movl	%eax,_stack+12
#endif
	popl	%eax
#ifdef DEBUG
	movl	%eax,_fcn
#endif
	call	%eax
	addl	$12, %esp

	/*
	 * Exit system call
	 */
	call	PIC_PLT(_exit)

	.stabd 68,0,5
2:	addl	$8, %esp
	popl	%esi
	movl	%ebp, %esp
	popl	%ebp
	jmp	PIC_PLT(HIDENAME(cerror))

.stabs "thrfork:f67",36,0,6,CNAME(thrfork)
Lfe1:
	.size	 CNAME(thrfork),Lfe1-CNAME(thrfork)

#ifdef DEBUG
	.data
	.globl	_stack
_stack:	.long	0
	.long	0
	.long	0
	.long	0
	.long	0
	.globl	_stackaddr
_stackaddr:	.long	0
	.globl	_fcn
_fcn:	.long	0
#endif

--oJ71EGRlYNjSvfq7

#include <sys/types.h>

extern pid_t thrfork(int flags, caddr_t stack_top,
	             void (*internal_fn)(void *, int (*)(void *), void*), void *internal_arg,
		     int  (*user_fn)(void *), void * user_arg);

--oJ71EGRlYNjSvfq7--