Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:51:36 -0500
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0-RELEASE Dell PE 850

On Nov 14, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Johan Kooijman wrote:

> After ordering a stack of Dell PE 850 boxes I found out, by
> experience, that
> 6.0-RELEASE doesn't work with it. It does recognize the S-ATA
> controller,
> but install says it can't find any disks.

there was some discussion about this on the pfSense (firewall
software built on 6.0) a week or so ago.  Apparently there is some
kernel patch that allows the PE850 to work.  perhaps digging thru the
pfSense mailing list archives will help find it.

Not sure the status of having that patch merged back into the FreeBSD
main code.  I certainly hope it will be, given how popular these
boxes are.