Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:25:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      alan17@wizard.net
To:        Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk (Bond Jeffery)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to boot FreeBSD

According to Bond, Jeffery:

> Basically, the easy way is to not create ANY partitions for FreeBSD yet, but
> just leave some unused space (3 gig or whatever). The FreeBSD intall program
> will then let you create the proper partition (just one)  in the space you
> left, and then let you slice that up into swap, and filesystems.
>
> Order the 3.2-RELEASE CD by all means. It will save a lot of time
> downloading. I find that downloading is only really viable if you have a
> permanent connection (i.e. at work), and have access to a CD burner,
> especially if you want all the packages. I ordered a 2.2.5 CD from Walnut
> Creek ages ago, and they seem very quick and reliable.
	Jeff, thanks for your info, which was all completely on target.
	I bought my 3.2 CDs from Cheapbytes, they took longer than they
	usually do(I recommend them BTW) and I finally got around to
	installing FreeBSD.  It did not wipe my Linux partitions, for
	which I am grateful.

But I can't get to it!!  I searched for a way to make a bootable floppy
but couldn't find it.  If that's my stupidity/carelessness, I hope someone
will kindly point out where on my two CDs such a thing can be found.

Of course, I'd rather amend my LILO( = L*n*x LOADER<g>).  My situation:
I have an original 2.1 HD with 300meg allocated to DOS(more or less as
an act of piety, I never use it) and the rest allocated to Linux.  My
present LILO allows me to boot either, giving me a prompt before
anything comes up.

And now I have a FreeBSD installation at the beginning of my 6.3g second
hard drive, and I'd like to be able to enter e.g. "fbsd" when the LILO
prompt appears and be able to boot FreeBSD.

Does anyone out there boot FreeBSD from LILO?  Could you share with
me how to add to my present /etc/lilo.conf?  I would be most grateful.

TIA,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell      Every increase of needs tends to increase one's
Pixel Analysis      dependence on outside forces over which one cannot have