Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:23:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

(please note, i've trimmed the headers since i have assumed those
people who were on it are seeing this via hubs@ anyway)

> even for building ports.  The distfiles archive is useful, indeed, but I
> think that carrying them should not be a requirement for being declared
> "complete FreeBSD mirror".
>
> Also, I remember that building a new "FreeBSD-archive" was discussed a few
> months ago. That FreeBSD-archive would store "old" FreeBSD bits (what's
> old and what's not?). Maybe that archive could also include the port
> distfiles.

i would say a Tier-2 Official FreeBSD mirror could be defined as:

o carrying FreeBSD release trees   (3 releases including the latest?)
o carrying FreeBSD releases ISOs   (3 ?)
o carrying FreeBSD packages
o carrying FreeBSD security (aka CERT)
o carrying FreeBSD docs
o must be up to date with all of the above to within 48 hours ?

and that would meet the minimum requirements of what 75% of the general
population want - a site to download or install FreeBSD from.

this would not stop Tier-2s from carrying additional content such as

o FreeBSD distfiles
o FreeBSD branches source tree
o FreeBSD CVSup source tree
o FreeBSD CTM source tree
o FreeBSD misc/development content
o FreeBSD archive releases
o FreeBSD SNAP releases

Of course there are a number of official FreeBSD mirrors now that can
only carry a partial release tree (only the latest releases or a specific
architecture, usually i386), so we'd have to think about how that could
fit into things as a Tier-2.

comments ?

-jason