Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:31:44 +1030
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Poor recognition of drive partitions

I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 onto an old laptop which has an old IDE
controller which will not recognise >540M HD
I have installed a 1.7G HD using Maxtor's ezsetup.  This works.
I have partitioned the drive using Partition Magic and installed Win3.11 on the
first 250M, leaving the remainder free for BSD.
However, when I get to the "make partitions" part of the install process, this
is what I see:
(I have used fixed font and 5 spaces between columns in the table)

Disk Name:         ad0
DISK geometry:    850 cyls/64 heads/63 sectors = 3427200 sectors (1673MB)

Offset     Size(MB)     End     Name     PType     Desc     Subtype	Flags
     0           0            62          -          6         unused       0
    63       1671   3423167     as0s1       1      unknown       85
3423168      1    3427199         -          6        unused       0

In this condition, the cursor key operation is invisible/inactive and if I get
the system to <C>reate it offers me a suitable partition of 4K sectors (ie 2M).

The geometry is right, but Free BSD is clearly unable to read correctly the
partition table created by Partition Magic.

Work-around or solutions, anyone?

--
Regards,
Brian