Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:43:50 +0100
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To:        Mick Walker <mwalker@codegurus.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hostname

* Mick Walker <mwalker@codegurus.org> [1004 10:04]:
> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 00:25, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 12:19:01AM +0100, Mick Walker wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I recently (today) upgraded to 5.3-STABLE.
> > > I am wondering why I cant set my hostname.
> > > It works if I issue the command hostname whatever.com, but on reboot it
> > > is reset to nothing.
> > > I have it set up in my /etc/rc.conf so it applies at boot time.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how I can fix this?
> >
> > Show us what you've done first, don't describe what you think you did :-)
> >
> > Kris
>

> $ hostname
>
> $
> $ hostname laptop.codegurus.org
> $ hostname
> laptop.codegurus.org
> $
>
> And in my /etc/rc.conf file I have:
> hostname="laptop.codegurus.org"

Personally I'd just put 'laptop' in there, and add a
search codegurus.org
at the top of resolv.conf, but that's not what's breaking your config.
Is dhcp or something unsetting the hostname ? There should be a line in the
boot messages that says

Setting hostname: laptop.codegurus.org

- look out for that, if it appears then something is resetting it later in
the boot.

--
common sense is what tells you that the world is flat. - Principia Discordia