Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:15:29 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolving hostnames takes "forever"

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 08:49:42AM +0100, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen wrote:

> Thanks a lot, looks like it's doubleclick.net that is causing me headaches.
> Which makes sense since most pages that takes time loading have adds from
> doubleclick.net. Eg:

> Now, apart from nagging doubleclick, is there anyway I can eg. block quieries
> for doubleclick as to speed up loading?

If you're using Mozilla, you can right-click on the image from the
troublesome server and select "Block images from this server".  That
tends to speed things up quite a lot.

On a site wide level, you could also try using a webcache (squid, that
sort of thing) to filter out the adverts.  You will need to pick out
the URLs of the advertisers and redirect them to somewhere innocuous
or you'll still get the same DNS delays.  While that will achieve a
pleasing lack of visual clutter on many web pages, it's quite an
administrative task to keep that sort of thing up to date.

If you haven't got a web cache, you can always make your internal DNS
servers carry a fake version of a domain that overrides the real one.
Doing that for every site providing adverts is a bit of a blunt
instrument.  It rapidly becomes unwieldy, and tends to block out real
content from many places.  Plus it will irritate the owners of many
worthwhile sites that rely on advertising income to keep going.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow