Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:10:51 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Traffic stats for 5.1-RELEASE yesterday? (and a rant)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 05:45:04PM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:
> So from a mildly curious perspective on my part, what were the traffic
> impacts from yesterday's 5.1-RELEASE event on (at least the Tier-1 mirrors)?
>
> From our end we reached a sustained peak of ~150-170MB/sec for just over
> three hours mid-day yesterday (Pacific) before slowly tapering off (Mmmm, /.
> effect) Hope everyone involved loved slurping their ISO's :)

The other half of ftp.FreeBSD.org saw similar xfer rates

> BTW, we replaced the GigE card on the system from a Netgear to a Intel Sunday
> night.  Worked like a charm.

We use a 3com 3c985-SX (Alteon, ti driver), as we had stability problems
with the Intel cards with the gx driver, this was before the em driver
was available.

> One thing that's been bothering me ever since I started looking at the xfer
> logs (always a bad idea) ;)  is seeing the number of mirror sites that slurp
> from us because... well, because we are ftp.freebsd.org.  I see site after
> site banging away at us with mirror software from across the oceans (and
> some big sites back on the US East Coast) where I know network wise, they
> have other Tier-1 mirrors closer than to us (or to beastie.tdk.net))  So, I
> am tempted to add this to my "too many users" message.

We use:

jesper@ftp% cat ftpmotd
The FreeBSD mirror at TDC, in Aarhus, Denmark, Europe

Contact: beastie@tdk.net

Use wisely.

Please check the below URL to see if you have a closer mirror,
especially during releases of new versions of FreeBSD, the load
on this server can be quite high, and it's likely that you will
get better transfer rates from your local mirror.

<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html>;

Specifically should all mirrors not mirroring directly from the master
repository choose a different host than this to mirror from, for the
reasons mentioned above, I should also add that all tier 1 mirrors have
exactly the same access to the master repository as ftp.FreeBSD.org

jesper@ftp% cat msg.toomany
Sorry, too many connections, try again later.

or for short <http://xrl.us/z67>;

Specifically should all mirrors not mirroring directly from the master
repository choose a different host than this to mirror from, for the
reasons mentioned above, I should also add that all tier 1 mirrors have
exactly the same access to the master repository as ftp.FreeBSD.org

> -=-
> Also, for all mirrors not mirroring directly from the master
> repository - Please choose a different host to mirror from.  Look
> at the URL provided above, and note that all Tier 1 mirrors have
> exactly the same access to the master repository as ftp.FreeBSD.org.
> There is no reason to stress trans-continental (or trans-oceanic)
> links just to say that you sync up with ftp.FreeBSD.org, when you
> might have a Tier 1 mirror located right next door that has the
> same access to the master repository and likely has a faster
> transfer rate to you.
>
> It's for your own good - really ;-)
> -=-
>
> Not that I suspect those automated mirror scripts will read/care, but it
> makes me feel better... :)

Yes - at one point I was tempted to deny obvious "mirrors" access,
hoping a human might actually read the message ...

/Jesper