Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:52:54 -0400
From:      David Jeffers <jeffers@redrose.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Printing problems

Here's my printcap entry -

lp|cdj500|ps|local Deskjet printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd/:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:sh:mx#0:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter:

With ghostscript-5.10 installed, postscript printing fails. I'm using
an HP660c desk jet. Also tried enscript which I use on another machine
with same result -the postscript code file is printed instead of
the file sent to the printer. If anyone has a deskjet I'd be real
interested in your printcap and ghostscript setup. Here's what
I'm trying:

gs -dNODISPLAY -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=cdj500 -sOutputFile=\|lpr -- $*

I have the above in a script. The file spools to the queue but only prints
Postscript code. The '-sNODISPLAY' option is necessary else gs errors- but
I doubt that's the problem. var/log/lpd-errs has nothing to report..
enscript also spools to the queue but with the same result.

Any deskjet users out there?

--
David Jeffers --------------
mailto: jeffers@redrose.net