Date:      Wed, 5 May 1999 17:21:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Tom Brown <tomb_lists@heliox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ease of use...

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Tom Brown wrote:

> Yet again i here the rumblings of potential contribution's to the kernel
> and the serious technical side of the OS.
> This mornings comments about contributions are not unusual in my
> experience.  I would say two things on the subject.
>
> You can contribute very effectively without being that technical, the
> 'ease of use' problems for example are a lot more evident to new users
> than to the hard-core users. Despite what some may say I think this is a
> very important area of development, just look at Yahoo's comments if you
> want an example.
>
> But it's not that easy to get anyone to listen.
>
> I for example, have got a GENERIC kernel config file to contribute to
> the project.  It's only attribute is that each of the drivers has a
> comment next to it stating what it is and comments like !!DO NOT REMOVE
> for those options that can land you in trouble.  Having built a fair
> number of FreeBSD boxes I know that these comments have saved me a huge
> amount of time and I like to share that.
>
> So if anyone can point me in the right direction I will post them the
> file.

you should supply diffs relative to -current, the "easiest" way to
do this is to download your own copy of the repository and use "cvs"

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CVSUP

you can then submit PRs (man send-pr) and attach these"diffs"
most PRs (problem reports) in the database with *PATCH* or something
next to them will get looked at with feedback given to you.

i'm not a commiter, but i have had 2 or 3 minor things
commited for me by following the protocol.

I'm even willing to do a small tutorial over IRC, just get on
efnet, join #freebsd and look for "zb^3".

for cvsup, use this file:

*default  host=cvsup.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/home/ncvs
*default  release=cvs
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress

src-all

make sure you have a directory /home/ncvs to store the code in, it's
about 500megs but the transfer will be compressed.

-Alfred