Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:52:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bill <bill@duchess.wagill.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BACK UP

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Bill wrote:

> I am looking for products and/or "strategies" for backing up my FreeBSD
> system regularly and unattended.  Are there any products, packages, or
> "strategies" out there worth looking into?

The current backup programs are:

tar & cpio
dump/rdump
amanda

Amanda is a backup management program that is excellent for backing up
several systems through one or more tapes on a tape host.  Dump/rdump back
up entire filesystems at once; rdump lets you backup one system to
another.  tar & cpio are pretty straightforward.

The book "UNIX System Administration Handbook" contains some backup
strategies, including incremental and Tower of Hanoi sequences.

There is some information in the Handbook in Section 10.5.

Hope this gets you started.