Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:21:50 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, pjd@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS: invalid label -- what is expected?

Hi,

I'm in the uncomfortable situation that I have a ZFS which emits the =20
message "label missing or invalid" for one of the 3 disks. As this is =20
neither a mirror nor a raidz, the whole pool is not accessible. This =20
pool just served as a backup for some data which had to be transferred =20
from a graid3 to a raidz. The graid3 does not exist anymore, and the =20
raidz is not populated yet...

As I want to have the data back from the interrim-backup pool (several =20
jails, the FreeBSD CVS, ... so more or less nothing important, but =20
time consuming to get back to the previous state by =20
reinstalling/downloading/...), I would like to know where this label =20
zfs is complaining about is supposed to reside, and how is it suppsoed =20
to look like? I would like to give a repair a try (giving zfs the =20
label it expects and hoping it is able to recover at least most of the =20
data (on this pool I had the property copies=3D2)).

So anybody out there who can give me some information I need to do =20
this, or at least knows some places in the zfs source I should have a =20
look at? Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed to freebsd-fs@.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Automobile, n.:
=09A four-wheeled vehicle that runs up hills and down
=09pedestrians.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137