Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:50:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This here DVD-RAM thing

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Thursday 19 February 2004 12:24, Pete French wrote:
> > > I got my LG 4081B today, complete with a 4.7G DVD-RAM medium and I played
> > > around with it a bit. I can newfs and mount it rw just fine and it's all
> > > great - except, that UFS is the ONLY filesystem I can manage to get onto
> > > it. fdisk is a no-go, so is disklabel, so is newfs_msdos, so is mke2fs.
> > > It
> >
> > How have you managed to get a UFS filesystem onto it under -STABLE ? I
> > also have  a DVD-RAM  drive ((and old SCSI one) but I thought that UFS
> > wasnt supported ?
>
> Don't believe what your vendor says - for example LG's formatting tool and
> documentation for Windows claims NTFS isn't possible either, but it perfectly
> is. Think of DVD-RAMs as poor man's MO-media.
>
> All I needed to do to format one with UFS was 'newfs /dev/cd0c'. This is an
> atapi drive with atapicam enabled however, I can't test with real SCSI
> hardware.

The whole point of DVD-RAM is to hide all of the details of optical media
behind a random-read/random-write interface, i.e. to make it look like a
really big floppy.  You can put whatever filesystem you want on it.
However, most filesystems have 'hot spots' that do a lot of writes; this
will result in uneven wear of the media and will eventually result in
failure.  That's why there are not recommended for things like NTFS or
UFS.  However, if you just want to use it for infrequent archiving, it
would work well.

Things like JFF2, FlashFS, and UDF are much better suited to media like
this.

Scott