Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 02:19:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      FreeBSD Hacker <freebsd@acroal.com>
To:        Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Informix on FreeBSD (maybe) (fwd)

Ok guys, first I'll say I've spent the last week trying to get PostGreSQL
to work with windows, unsuccessfully.  Second, I think that the bottom
line is that FreeBSD needs to have its own integrated database system
based on noone elses technology.  This will be a winner, because we all
know that anything written by and specifically for the community is going
to be 10x more efficient than any 2 bit half-ass commercial port.  Also
since freebsd is strong on the ISP community this will serve to strengthen
it there as I hear that ISP billing systems are a very big deal these days
(mucho dolores).  So bottom line is a DBMS built 10% into freebsd
substructure that can run on PC hardware 5x faster that commericial
products under NotTested is going to be the choice of professionals as
long as it supports some in place communication with windows (read:
Interfaces like some commercial, preferably MS product to winbloze
machines, i.e let ms write the OpenDataBaseCrap for you.)