Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:12:39 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3beta status report

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:38:58PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> What was discussed before was fixing sysinstall to enable a getty on

Discussed, but no patches formed. :-)

> /dev/ttyd0 *if* the install was being done on a serial console; this is
> the only sane way to go about it.

Personally I don't find that very satisfying.  With Solaris and
NetBSD/sparc, I can do a graphical install, remove the graphics hardware
(ie, keyboard) and use serial console.  Everything just works.  The
scheme proposed is limited.

4.3 will ship with a getty always on ttyd0.
(yes, I know there is a small security issue to this)

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX