Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:14:50 +0100
From:      Per Tore Larsen <per.tore.larsen@fernonorden.com>
To:        'Chris Hill' <chris@monochrome.org>, "Freebsd-Questions (E-post)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SPAM? (was Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts))

Not to defend spam (I hate spam) but we also need to consider the fact
that the internet is the only way to express your self without any
kind of censorship.  If we say yes to stop spam we also say yes to the
goverment to read all our email to check if it is spam.

The fact is that we MUST accept spam to keep the internet free from
goverment abuse. Yes, I know that the US is keeping Echolon etc but the
fact is that they are not publicly accepted.

I know this is a very extreme look at spam and censorship, but by saying
yes to one thing, makes the next step even easier for the goverment.

Internet may be tormentet by junk/sex/whatever but it's the ultimate
freedom of speech.  Lets keep it that way.

PeTe