Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:24:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Michael S. Fischer" <michael@wendy.auctionwatch.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with QLogic 2200

Hi there,

We're attempting to do some tests for a potential rollout of a new
service, and we really want to use FreeBSD with FC-AL storage.  We checked
the hardware compatibility lists, and decided to go with a QLogic QLC-2200
PCI Fibre Channel controller.   The card has been installed, and the BIOS
works just fine.  However, when we attempt to boot from the 3.3-RELEASE
CD, the kernel recognizes the card during the device probe, but hangs with
the following message:

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
isp0: Firmware State Config Wait -> Loss Of Sync

At this point, my only choice is to reboot.

Our hardware profile:

Tyan Thunderbolt (S1837) ATX motherboard
768MB RAM
Onboard Adaptec AIC-7896 dual-channel U2W SCSI controller
Seagate boot disk (ST39103LW, 9GB) on channel B, ID 0
Qlogic ISP2200 PCI card

If I remove the Qlogic 2200 card, the machine boots gracefully.

Is my only choice here to boot with some sort of Fibre Channel disk
attached?  Ours have not arrived yet, so I can't test whether or not the
kernel will finish loading if the card is connected to a loop.

--
Michael S. Fischer  <michael@auctionwatch.com>
Sr. Engineer, AuctionWatch.com