Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:00:02 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@firehouse.net>
To:        FreeBSD-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: do you do windows... err... drugs?

Out of the ether, Jan Koum spewed forth the following bitstream:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techenthusiast/geek/marykay.asp
>
> so how come i never see "FreeBSD got me off crack" articles???

The funniest part of the article was this quote, however, concerning
an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 2000:

] The group found that some of the hardware and software on Mary
] Kay's PC was incompatible with Windows 2000 Professional. Some
] software would have to be uninstalled, and then reinstalled after the
] operating system. They also found that there were issues with the
] 56K Fax Modem, a SCSI controller, the Virus Shield (McAfee), the
] keyboard manager, and the software application that runs the
] scanner (PaperPort), and Microsoft Outlook 2000. The geek kids
] resolved these issues with little coaching from Mary Kay.

Software (un-named) which needed to be uninstalled and reinstalled.
	Has *ANYONE* ever gotten software to cleanly uninstall under
	Windows?  This may have been the reason that they needed to
	do the upgrade... having attempted to uninstall an application,
	Windows 98 was now unstable and needed an upgrade.

Problems with:  Modem, SCSI Controller, Keyboard controller (software?)
	What might be more important parts of your system than your
	drive controller and keyboard?  I'd guess that the Modem was
	a WinModem and thus incompatible with the new version of windows.

Failure with Microsoft Outlook 2000 and PaperPort.
	No comment.

There are several other flagrantly humorous items in the article, but I'll
leave them for the astute reader.

AlanC
--
                                      \             Alan B. Clegg