Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:14:08 -0400
From:      "Han Hwei Woo" <hhw@argosy.ca>
To:        "Beheer" <beheer@radecom.nl>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Linux / Unix ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beheer" <beheer@radecom.nl>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 8:33 AM

> Gil Binder wrote:
> > Hey there,
> > I am a FreeBSD user, I have a debate with someone about FreeBSD.
> > And I would like you to answer our little debate, FreeBSD is:
> > A.      Linux
It is definitely not A. Linux is a kernel, and FreeBSD has its own kernel.
There is absolutely no Linux code in FreeBSD. However, Linux being a kernel
only is usually packaged with software from GNU for its userland. Much of
FreeBSD's userland is its own code, but it does use some GNU software.
FreeBSD is also under the BSD license, which is significantly different than
Linux's GPL license, although both are open source.

> > B.      Unix
Depends on what you mean by Unix. There is code in it that derives from the
original AT&T UNIX. It is also posix compliant. However, the Open Group
which currently owns the UNIX trademark does not consider it Unix. Also,
people will often use the term Unix to refer to the proprietary operating
systems from the big vendors (SunOS/Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, IRIX, AIX), which
are branched from the original UNIX and has code licensed from it (note SCO
who now owns the code). Although you can loosely call FreeBSD Unix, it is
more aptly referred to as a unix derivative or unix variant.

> > C.      Something else ( Tell us what ;P )
I'd go with this answer. If I had to classify it in any group, I'd classify
it as a BSD. 1) Because it's branched directly from BSD 2) It's under the
BSD license. 3) It is most similar to other BSD derivates such as OpenBSD
and NetBSD, with which it shares a lot of common code, and is significantly
more different from any other operating system.