Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2016 00:35:21 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@ixsystems.com>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
Cc:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pNFS server Plan B

> On Jun 22, 2016, at 1:56 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl> =
wrote:
>=20
> In the spare time I have left, I'm trying to get a lot of small fixes
> into the ceph tree to get it actually compiling, testing, and running =
on
> FreeBSD. But Ceph is a lot of code, and since a lot of people are
> working on it, the number of code changes are big.

Hi Willem,

Yes, I read your paper on the porting effort!

I also took a look at porting ceph myself, about 2 years ago, and =
rapidly concluded that it wasn=E2=80=99t a small / trivial effort by any =
means and would require a strong justification in terms of ceph=E2=80=99s =
feature set over glusterfs / moose / OpenAFS / RiakCS / etc.   Since =
that time, there=E2=80=99s been customer interest but nothing truly =
=E2=80=9Cstrong=E2=80=9D per-se.  My attraction to ceph remains centered =
around at least these 4 things:

1. Distributed Object store with S3-compatible ReST API
2. Interoperates with Openstack via Swift compatibility
3. Block storage (RADOS) - possibly useful for iSCSI and other block =
storage requirements
4. Filesystem interface

Is there anything we can do to help?  Do the CEPH folks seem receptive =
to actually having a =E2=80=9CTier 1=E2=80=9D FreeBSD port?  I know that =
stas@ did an early almost-port awhile back, but it never reached =
fruition and my feeling was that they (ceph) might be a little gun-shy =
about seeing another port that might wind up in the same place, crufting =
up their code base to no purpose.  Do you have any initial impressions =
about that?  I=E2=80=99ve never talked to any of the 3 principle guys =
working on the project and this is pure guesswork on my part.

- Jordan