Date:      Thu, 29 May 2003 23:17:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      Tod McQuillin <devin@spamcop.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Orinoco Gold trouble with SMP server

On Thu, 29 May 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> OK.  I've been reviewing my notes.  We have a SMP box at work and
> haven't been able to get ISA interrupts to work with OLDCARD on that
> box. :-(

Thanks Warner!  This is actually the best news I've heard all day because
it means I can get down to business hacking on FreeBSD without worrying
that I'm overlooking something obvious.

I found another ISA card (old adaptec AVA-1502 that I think is supported
by the aic driver) which can be configured for IRQ 9 or 10.

I will begin by verifying that I can in fact use both of those IRQs with
another card, and then put the pcic back in and start tracing the code
path for setting up an inserted card.

Could it have something to do with missing some step for programming the
APIC?  I notice this line from the verbose dmesg:

SMP: enabled INTs: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, apic_imen: 0x00f03d05

I note that IRQ 10 (the one pccardd is trying to allocate for wi0) is not
in this list.  This makes sense since wi0 has not been probed yet at this
point, but I wonder if there is something the pcic code is overlooking?

Also I wonder if the machine where you observed similar symptoms is also a
compaq afflicted with the dreaded "broken mptable" glitch.  There is a
workaround for this which prints this message:

APIC_IO: MP table broken: 8259->APIC entry missing!

but perhaps it's related.

If I have questions about the kernel code for allocating IRQs should I ask
here, on -hackers, on -smp, or what?

Thanks again,
--
Tod McQuillin