Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:13:58 -0500
From:      Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Ladan?= <rene@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chromium-list freebsd <freebsd-chromium@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: backing down on Chromium ...

--Apple-Mail=_7E422C50-6C7C-426A-8C1F-51E00C0DA013

On Nov 20, 2014, at 6:01 PM, Ren=E9 Ladan <rene@freebsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
>   and checking if the pkg-plist is still OK.  See below for major
>   version updates.
> - Notice that new upstream distribution files can take a day to =
appear,
>   even in the case of a security update.
>=20
> Porting a new major version (for GitHub or the Ports Tree) is a
> different story though:
> - Checkout the beta branch at GitHub
> - Bump the PORTVERSION, run `make makesum`
> - Run `make checkpatch` to see which patches still apply. Temporarily
>   move Broken / orphaned patches out of the way. Repeat till
>   `make checkpatch` is fine.
> - Fix or delete the patches you just moved
> - Try to build the port. Have coffee, brain, and willpower ready...
> - If `make configure` fails, this is mostly because gyp is =
complaining.
>   In case a directory got accidentally deleted by the
>   remove_bundled_libraries.py script, put it back in, add it to its
>   list, and try again.
> - In case you need inspiration for a patch, try to look at the
>   corresponding Linux or MacOSX code.  A lot of times adding BSD to =
the
>   list suffices.
> - Once Chromium links and staging passes, run `make check-plist` and
>   `make package` to see if the package list is still OK.
> - Try to run it.
> - Once that works, you can send the patches using a PR, a website, or
>   otherwise.
> - Every six weeks or so the Beta version gets Stable, which means it =
is
>   time to merge the beta branch back into the master branch.
> - To get the patch for the Ports Tree, replace the old files/ =
directory
>   with the new one, and update Makefile, pkg-*, and distinfo
>=20
> In case you feel like working with upstream:
> - See the WWW site for some hints on getting started
> - Have a modern machine ready (many cores, RAM, ZFS, ccache)
> - Check upstream on how to get the sources (chroot highly recommended
>   to not pollute your existing system).  Notice that the initial
>   checkout can is between 10 GB and 15 GB large.
> - Apply the patches from https://people.freebsd.org/~rene/chromium/
> - Run the script to try to build Chromium:
>   sh ./update.sh build nopull
>   Even more coffee, brain, and willpower recommended.
> - To update from upstream, run:
>   sh ./update.sh
>   and check for merge conflicts in the git output.
>=20
> Resources:
> - https://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/
> - chromium-dev@chromium.org
> - chromium-packagers@chromium.org
> - #chromium on FreeNode
>=20
> For now I will continue to:
> - Committing VuXML entries
> - Committing new versions to the Ports Tree (e.g. as PR) and to =
GitHub.
>   Feel free to fork the repository.
> - Answer any questions you have.
>=20
> Do mind that (at least in my experience), interest from upstream in =
BSD
> varies.  There might eventually be BSD bots, but that doesn't
> necessarily mean that build errors on BSD will be blocking (as they =
are
> on Windows / Linux / MacOSX / Android / iOS).
>=20
> A good person to contact would be Pawel Hajdan Jr
> <phajdan.jr@chromium.org>
>=20
> Regards,
> Ren=E9

Hey Ren=E9,

As someone who uses Chromium on a daily basis (and admittedly takes it =
for granted), I would like to give you a sincere thank you for your hard =
work. I=92m hoping that the person who fills in your big, worn shoes =
will achieve the same level of awesomeness.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks,

Shawn