Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 08:30:53 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        nestor <nestor.rios@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd 5 install

On 2004-04-18 00:21, nestor <nestor.rios@verizon.net> wrote:
> today ran thru install using entire 2nd HD for bsd 5.0 by foolowing FREE
> BSD UNLEASHED 2nd ed.  it seemed pretty straight forward.  but after
> install did not boot into bsd.  boot loader options were to come up
> after i initially said do nothing now when disk 2 was picked for
> install. but the later oppotunity never came up. xp is on disk 1 and bsd
> on 2nd.  expected equivalent of lilo or grub to load on mbr of 1st disk
> but no such luck.  what about a boot floppy option?  this would be less
> nerve racking. no error messages came up only congatulations.  i use dsl
> for internet connexn and not on any networks.  just tying to learn.  any
> ideas? thnx.  a boot floppy would sure help so as not to damage winxp.

You can always use your installation CDROM as a boot floopy and/or
resque disk for such 'problems'.  Just boot from the CDROM and interrupt
the boot process at the spinning '/' character stage by pressing SPACE.

You should see a prompt like this:

	>> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
	Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
	boot:

Instead of pressing RETURN to boot the default kernel, type this at the
'boot:' prompt:

	1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader

This should bring up your /boot/loader from the second ATA disk.  The
rest of the booting process is relatively easy, so I think you'll manage
alright.  If not, keep notes and mail us again :-)

- Giorgos