Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 19:38:30 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Needing Help

On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:04:36 +0100, RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com> wrote:
> There's also ee in the base system, which is good enough for editing
> configuration files, and is much easier for a casual user. The benefits
> of vi and emacs are mostly for developers.

I'd like to mention the Midnight Commander. You can
easily install it by entering (as root)

	pkg_add -r mc

and then use the PF3 key to view a file, PF4 to edit
it. Note that "check a file" refers to the action of
viewing (and reading / comparing with a given pattern)
the file, in opposite to executing a file (also "running
a file"). Executing obviously is only possible with
executable files (those that contain program code in
one way or the other).

For those who come from a DOS background (not _that_
DOS, the _other_ DOS), tools like the Midnight Commander
are very welcome. Personally, I use it on a daily basis
although I come from a _real_ DOS background. :-)

The two-panel layout caters source-target-thinking in
operations (instead of the strange misconception of
using the edit buffer to transfer files, as it's an
unhealthy habit in many GUIs). The excellent support
for keyboard accessibility makes the user perform tasks
quick and efficiently.

So as a summary to the OP: Install the Midnight Commander,
and make heavy use of PF3 and PF4. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany