Date:      09 Apr 2005 11:14:24 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: check for badblocks in hd

Paulo Roberto <nirv199@yahoo.com> writes:

> I read the newfs man page but I couldn't find anything related to bad
> block checking. Is there a tool for doing it?

Modern disks handle bad blocks internally, so they are not visible to
the operating system (until the disk is almost dead, anyway).  There
are usually manufacturer tools for looking at it more closely, but by
and large, if you know you have bad blocks, it's time to get a new
disk.  There is a FAQ entry on this, with considerably more
information.