Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:11:04 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Jeremy C. Reed said on Apr 10, 2002 at 09:44:22:
> I am looking for a mailing list:
>
> - manage via email (web-based management not required)
>
> - users aren't forced to use a password to unsubscribe
>
> - detect hard bounces and unsubscribe as needed
>
> - has a reasonable good track record of non-security issues.
>
> - lightweight, but perl is okay (that doesn't make sense :)

I don't know of such a webpage, but -

If you don't mind using qmail as your mta -- and especially if you're
already using it -- I definitely like ezmlm (at the risk of starting
another DJB flamefest).  It does all of the above, very easy to set up
(a one line command, though you have to read the docs to issue the
appropriate command), and you can set up the mailing list as a regular
user -- no root interference required except in setting up the
software itself.  In fact, you can set up several lists as the same
user (say, list-one@host, list-two@host etc for user list).  And of
course you have DJB's well known assurances on security and reliability
(I don't think he offers a guarantee though).

All commands are email-based: you send email to list-one-subscribe@...
you'll get a confirmation mail which you need to reply to, but no
passwords.  It may be possible to set it up without requiring
confirmation for subscribes/unsubscribes -- it all works with .qmail
files so one can manipulate those directly and do lots of things.

ISTR it now works with postfix too.

Bare-bones version, but good enough for many purposes, mail/ezmlm
in the ports:
  http://cr.yp.to/ezmlm.html
Useful add-ons (moderation, remote administration etc) available as
mail/ezmlm-idx in the ports:
  http://www.ezmlm.org/

- Rahul