Date:      Sun,  3 Dec 2000 13:00:54 -0500
From:      Barry Lustig <barry@lustig.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   VMware hanging -- Memory deadlock?

  I have a vaio z505le with 192MB running 4.2-STABLE (cvsupped today).  I've
been trying to get vmware running properly on it.  I first configured vmware
on the vaio, created a win2k type virtual disk, set ram in the VM to 80M,
and copied a happily working win2k virtual disk from another system over the
skeleton one that the config wizard created.  I'm running the latest port of
XFree86 4.0.1.

  Each time I start vmware the system gets part of the way through the VM
boot process and then hangs.  The only thing that still responds is the
mouse.  A top process running in an xterm locks up, as does the getty on the
serial console.  I can break into ddb from the serial console.  I've found
that dropping the memory size for the VM down to 64MB works (68MB doesn't).
When running the 64MB VM top shows:

	70M Active, 34M Inactive, 75M Wired, ~9M Cache, 29M Buf, ~6M Free

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this?

Thanks,

barry