Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 10:57:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        rex <rex@technatron.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing Problem

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, rex wrote:
>         Recently, I had to move my servers to a remote location..
> My office is now connected to the Internet Via a ISDN line, and all my
> internal machines are routed thru NAT. Which doesn't support much along
> the way of usable internet.

That comes as a surprise to all the folks using NAT to give their internal
machines Internet access.  Use RFC 1918 address on the internal hosts

> My FreeBSD server has a Class C assigned to it. But my ISDN connection
> has but one IP address. I'd like to foward some of my IP addresses from
> my Class C, thru a single address on my ISP's router. He says it can't
> be done, but that I'm welcome to try.

Who assigned the class C?  If it's not from your ISPs address space
and he wont announce it, it ain't gonna work.

> My FreeBSD machine also has a single IP address on the same subnet as
> the ISDN router.
>
> Any Suggestions. I've tried building Static Route to the ISDN line's IP
> address, it doesn't work. I know It can be done on a WinDOZE NT server,
> thru PPTP, but I'd REALLY like to aavoid a Microcrap solution.

Using PPTP eliminates the routing problem.  Using any tunneling
protocol will eliminate the routing problem.  I haven't needed to
do this so can't offer suggestions but look at SKIP and IPSec, there
may be something in one of those.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com