Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:23:47 -0500
From:      Damian Wiest <dwiest@vailsys.com>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc64 partitions compatible with PC?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 02:32:28PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:

[snip]

> It is possible to put plain BSD labels onto FreeBSD/i386 disks:
>
> pizarro:~$ uname -a
> FreeBSD pizarro 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #1: Tue Nov  8 20:23:54 UTC 2005     carton@cortez:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CORTEZ  i386
> pizarro:~$ df -k
> Filesystem 1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad4a      63214   34552   23606    59%    /
> devfs              1       1       0   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad4e    7615086 2864168 4141712    41%    /usr
> devfs              1       1       0   100%    /usr/var/chroot/named/dev
>
> see how my devices are ad4a instead of ad4s1a?  The missing s1 means
> no MBR label.

I would be extremely careful when doing this with removable disks
(ie. external USB drives) as I've had other systems wipe out my
data/label when mounting such a drive.

Some time ago I had a USB drive with just a BSD label and ufs
filesystems; everything worked fine on my FreeBSD workstation.  When I
attempted to mount the thing on a box running OS X (Tiger) the system
locked up.  I moved the disk back to my workstation only to discover
that the BSD label had been wiped out.

Now, that's not FreeBSD's fault, but I'd be careful when moving such
disks between systems.

-Damian