Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:18:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Luke <luked@pobox.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?eodyna?= <eodyna@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adsl bittorrent speeds troubleshooting

> Im a newbie with this, im having trouble with my
> download speeds with my adsl modem, and i just wanted
> to elimanate that the problem isn't my computers
> configuration. This is my first time with adsl so im
> not 100% that the configuration is correct.

I use the BitTornado BitTorrent client, so my advice may not be
applicable to your situtation, but here goes...

First of all, the BitTorrent system works best when you allow incoming
connections.  If you don't poke a hole in your firewall and let some other
people connect to you, your transfer rates will be bad.  It's how the
system works.  If you don't allow incoming connections, you're limiting
the "sharing" aspect of the filesharing system and you're punished for
that by getting bad transfer rates and having people call you names like
"leecher".

Secondly, with DSL, you have a lot more bandwidth available for
downloading than you do for uploading.  After you start allowing incoming
connections, you must also limit the amount of uploading bandwidth that
BitTorrent is allowed to use, otherwise your internet connection will
choke as all your uploading bandwidth is gobbled up.
I don't know how your BitTorrent client regulates this - for all I know it
may be automatic.  With BitTornado there's a command-line option called
--max_upload_rate.  I think recent releases of BitTornado have started
doing some automatic tuning of this parameter, but I'm still using the
command line option.
It will take some experimentation to find out what setting works best for
you.  If the bittorrent client is limiting your other normal activity (if
you can't browse webpages) then you need to cut the max_upload_rate.