Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 11:53:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing (Last one for tonight)

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > [ If you follow this thread, eventually you will be able to install FreeBSD
> > on an Alpha Personal Workstation, avoiding many silly mistakes ]
> >
> > Got the kernel working, loads sysinstall (with strange colors (red
> > background, etc.) but the keyboard (console!) is very goofy:
> >
> > * Does not react (in sysinstall) to any normal keystroke
> > * Reacts (correctly) to ^C by asking ``Are you sure you want to abort...''
> > * Reacts correctly to ctl=alt=del
> > * Works correctly in alt-F2
>
> Whoah.  It worked here OK, but that plus the funny colours makes me
> think that libdialog is *not* 64-bit clean.
>
> > * Pause works correctly by allowing scrolling etc.
>
> You mean scroll lock?
>
> > * Works correctly in kernel debugger, although some boots cause it to work
> >   for only one or two characters, until the next ctl-alt-ESC
>
> Hmm.  That's weird.  I've seen some i386 keyboard problems as well; I
> think there may be a couple of nasties here.
>
> Thanks for the input; keep plugging when you get the time.

I've noticed the stuck keyboard effect before too.  I tried a few times
yesterday and didn't get that problem.  I had it hang once probing for
devices.  After rebooting, I actually managed to install a system to my
spare disk.  It worked fairly well apart from the fact that the disk
wasn't made bootable and the fstab had entries like da1s1a instead of
da1a.  After I fixed those manually, the disk booted and appeared to work
well.  This was with a release built around Wednesday last week.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039