Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:52:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new kernel

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Scott Myron wrote:

> hi. ok this new kerenl is pretty wierd... 1. I can't use pico anymore.
> although it is the linux version of pico I turn my linux emulator on and
> it gives me seg faults... so is there a pico.c I can get? second. I
> can't use user ppp anymore. it dial, I login, but when I try to "add 0 0
> HISADDR" it doesn't work. is that a kernel problem? or what? now I'm
> tring to get pppd to work. but I can't get those files working right. so
> is there like a script or something that'll do it for me? third. I can
> always recompile my kernel. so if I have to add anything to it to allow
> user ppp, please tell me what it is and I can always add it. thanks..

Please use puncatuation and captilization for effective communication.

Use the FreeBSD version of pine/pico.
I don't know PPP.

For statically compile Linux emulation in your kernel you need two lines
in your kernel config file. This is addressed in the handbook.

options COMPAT_LINUX
options LINUX

Perhaps, if you broke your kernel, you should boot '/kernel.generic' and
recompile using the 'GENERIC" config file.

You can find the documentation for kernel configuration in two places.
One is the 'LINT' file which is right next to the 'GENERIC' file on your
disc. The other place for documentation of kernel compiling is
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ or the hand book that you have on your
FreeBSD CDROM.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html