Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2002 16:15:26 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: swap & huge mem systems

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Erik Trulsson wrote:

ET> > BTW, is it safe to create _interleaved_ swap totally sized slightly above
ET> > the amount of physical RAM? I mean, is core writer interleve-aware, or
ET> > does it need the first swap partiton large enough?
ET>
ET> The coredumping code does not know about interleaved swap. It just uses
ET> a single swap partition which must be large enough.
ET> Read the dumpon(8) manpage for more information.

Yeah, I see (overlooked this somehow, sorry for the dumb question ;)

So, if someone wants to get really quick swap and allocates 4 partitions
on 4 drives *AND* also wand to get crashdumps, (s)he has to do this
suboptimally (either allocate 1st more sized than phys RAM and other much
smaller, or allocate approx 4 x phys RAM)?

The, the question: which technique is preferrable?

Sidenote: Yes, I'm aware that in "normal case" machine should not swap at
all, but consider something like multi-user machine which is *normally*
does not swap but need to adopt high peaks in load.

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]