Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2004 08:33:34 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Andreas Davour <ante@update.uu.se>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade problem

On Saturday 10 April 2004 07:51 am, Andreas Davour wrote:
> I wanted to send my heartfelt thanks to all who chimed in with
> helpful suggestions on my portupgrade problem.
>
> I have now learned that ports-all is proably the best option for a
> ports-supfile, and I'll have to look into the issue about a refuse
> file instead when I want to limit the selection.
>
> I have also learnt the importance of running 'portsdb -Uu' after
> upgrading.

Since you will now be running portsdb -uU, you should refuse
ports/INDEX[-5]. This dependis on whether you are running 4.x or [-5]
if you are running 5.x. You are going to recreate the INDEX file and it
takes a long time to redownload even over a 100Mbps network. Since you
have recreated your INDEX file, cvsup will download it everytime you
cvsup ports-all. The refuse saves you from re-downloading a don't need
5 MB file.

> Now I think I know how to do these things and after another upgrade I
> think I'm ready to at least do the cvsup part using cron.

The hardest part of a cron job is finding that magic time after the hour
that never fails because your cvsup-mirror is over committed. The
mirrors always update on the hour and you have to wait at least 10
minutes for the mirror to finish its cvsup. If you don't, you are
getting data from the mirror's previous update.

I currently schedule my local mirror update at 25 minutes after the
hour. It has been more than 2 days since the update failed. All mirrors
are not created equal. When something major like  FreeBSD 4.10 is
released, there is no magic time and you will probably find that the
cronjob frequently fails for around a day.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA