Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 17:29:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

Josef Grosch writes:
> When I lived in northern Minnesota, around Ely and Duluth, I drove a truck
> that had the very large dent in the side where a full grown male moose had
> rammed it. This moose took offense to me being in his territory and chased
> me. The only think that save me from being trampled was my truck. A moose
> is not an animal to be trifled with, especially so during the rut.

Boy! Its a good thing that moose didn't have one of those guns some seem
to think there are too many of. In the fit of rage that moose might have
hurt somebody, if only he had a gun.

I counter there are too many computers. They are too cheap. Any damn
fool can buy one and find instructions on how to wreck havoc with it.
Doesn't even require a license.

All sarcasm aside, neither a gun, computer, high powered automobile, (I
own a number of each), or alcohol are the causes of certain societal
ills. Some people just have problems and happen to use high powered
tools to exercise that problem. The tool doesn't cause the problem. If
one tool is scarce, another will be found. Or invented.

My biggest frustration is when I observe government, doctors, corporate
management, educators, etc., treat the symptoms of a problem rather
than search for the problem itself. Gun control only treats the
symptoms, not the problem itself.

I think firearms ought to be taught in school, along with sex education,
and driver education. After school hours I fired more rounds with my Dad
while in elementary school and high school than I've fired in the past
20 years. I grew up with a respect for firearms that my non-shooting
schoolmates have demonstrated they lack. It wasn't terribly uncommon for
one to swear at a car who had just cut them sort, "If I had a gun I'd
blow him away!" Don't know of any schoolmates who have aquired a gun
and "blown somebody away", but such a thought was almost unimaginable
to me. And would be to anybody who had firearms training from my Dad.