Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:38:04 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        "Eduardo B. Fonseca" <ebf@cwb.fnn.net>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD on a bootable CDROM?

> > The idea and intention is to put all the static stuff on a CDROM,
> > start a relatively small MFS filesystem to save memory and keep
> > several dynamicaly changeable stuff on a floppy, like new filter
> > rules etc.
> >
> > I found a  lot of stuff concerning creating floppy based picobsd, but
> > no one for a CDROM. Can anyone tell me where to look for and find
> > CDROM related stuff for picobsd?
>
> Well... I know it's possible, I just never tried. I will make some tests here
> and post the results to the list, ok?

I don't think you've seen very much in the way of PicoBSD in that
environment because you don't need the PicoBSD approach when you have
multiple megabytes of space.  (That is, one large "crunched" binary
containing all the programs you need to run; everything in an MFS
disk.)

I've built a couple of firewall systems that run off an 8MB flash
disk.  You just need to cut down the amount of stuff that the normal
FreeBSD build process installs to something more managable in size.

louie