Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:02:06 +0200
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DDB and dumping disk

-On [20000328 12:55], Sheldon Hearn (sheldonh@uunet.co.za) wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:50:12 +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>
>> I wasn't complaining, on the contrary!
>>
>> I was happily surprised it was way faster than the SCSI dump. =)
>
>So now the only question is whether our existing bootstrapping
>infrastructure already has some way to use your ddb magic to set
>dumpdev. :-)

Well, I can set dumpdev in ddb, but the problem is that when I reboot
that savecore doesn't detect a dump.

If I boot the system completely and manually panic and let it dump
savecore will detect the dump and put it in /var/crash.

So I wonder what I forgot in DDB.

I do:

db> show disk/ad0s1b
0xc0NNNNNN

I then use this value to:

db> write dumpdev 0xc0NNNNNN
dumpdev = ffffffff -> 0x0cNNNNNN

I can then dump when typing:

db> panic

But after the reboot savecore doesn't recognise the dump.

savecore: no coredump

Hope this makes it a bit more clear.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      VIA NET.WORKS The Netherlands